Here's what some of our many happy customers have had to say about Layton's Boatworks over the years.
I was able to visit Layton Bay and sea trial the Backwater
16. I met Doug on a Saturday he was so gracious to meet me on his day off to allow me to check out the Backwater16. First impressions of the design and look, its a baby Layton Bay 22, it’s slick little Rig and should serve my purpose. I had a few requirements and this fit all of them, A week later the demo model was still available and after consideration of a new build . I wasn’t crazy about the sea foam green and the olive drab colored Hulls. If anything it was either white or a light gray . So I decided to get the demo. The demo had some nice upgrades like the 70 Zuk. The boat is being prepped and I added a few other options like a power-pole, bigger Garman and an atlas jack plate. Doug was so informative and explained everything. A pleasure to deal with as well as April in the office, always available to ask questions! Ok, back to the new ride, it rode awesome, almost like I was in a bigger boat so it definitely has a bigger boat feel . Very roomy for a 16ft with room to walk around . The bow platform is perfect size to fish off of when it’s nice and calm and when its choppy you can step off into the hull and you have room to fish in that area too. This boat had a feel of a flats skiff but you were not on top of the deck but inside with shin high freeboard it rode in 1 ft chop excellent, like there was no chop at all nice and smooth and I added trim tabs to make it even better when its worse conditions. Wish it was more snotty out to test it even more.
1) Had to fit in my Garage (added a trailer tongue Swing)
2) Needed to get shallow and take me into the bigger
bays(added a jack plate and a power-pole)
3) Option to fish out front on the ocean side when its a summer flat calm.
4) The ride quality was great, sharp bow entry with a shallow V to the transom at 12 deg
5) Upswept bow to deflect spray ( almost like a panga style bow)
7) Ease of trailering, at 2000lbs maybe 1800 is easy to tow with my Tacoma. My pair 21 was a heavy SOB and that boat needed a bigger truck.
Upgrades I added
1) Garmin 9″
2) Atlas bracket
4) Trailer swing Tongue
5)Custom seat cushion for the front little console
7)under the gunnel rod holders for fly rods) , this was not easy as their is no inner liner so Doug needed to use special adhesive to fasten the holders to the inside. I also purchased some sea sucker fly rod holders for the console.
Upgrades the demo had already
70HP Suzuki ( Ran awesome on that little 16)
Yeti Cooler under the leaning post
Bow fishing seat(I’ll never use this as I flyfish only)
The boat, very affordable 16ft seaworthy as any 16ft could be made. Created by David Sintez to be a shallow running boat that can handle some of mother’s nature sea conditions. I set it up for a flyfishing platform. Soon To add a leg brace to the bow for fly casting in bumpy conditions.
– Joseph Nicosia
Bought a Layton 22. The buying experience was great, Doug is very responsive and they take GREAT pride in their work You will not find a better built boat. Check out how they build it and look at those stringers, it’s a forever boat. The wiring and accessories are installed with precision. I had many custom touches added, some becoming regular options now, and Doug was able to accommodate the ones that made sense. He guided me through the decisions offering his 2 generations of building and repair experience. I’ll use the boat inshore and offshore (on the right days) with great confidence.
Today I had the privilege of running a 2022 @laytonsboatworks backwater 16’ that belongs to @onlyonthefly . Super solid boat that’s perfect for the type of fishing that we both do . Plenty of storage , casting deck , compact console , power poles , and can rough through rough water when needed. Now todays bite a tough tone with Joe throwing the fly rod all day and I was switching back and forth depending on the depth.. We raised a few fish and Joe missed a massive blow up on his popper fly that we heard and felt in our seats. I picked up a pair of solid 30” fish to end the otherwise fun exciting day. – Khoa Duy Nguyen
While fishing last December, we hit something that took a large chunk out of the bottom of my new Carolina Skiff. Took the boat by Layton’s. I was quoted a very reasonable price for the repair. What I thought was pretty bad, they didn’t seemed phased and assured me that it would be fixed correctly. When I got the boat back after the repair, I had to look at the old pics to see exactly where the damage had been because the repair was great and the color match was spot on. Thanks again and I have recommended Layton’s to friends and family. .
Doug & April,
Thank you for helping us live our dreams. I am grateful that I get to enjoy fishing because of the amazing boat that you all make. Happy Holidays!
My husband Kenneth and I can not say enough good things about Doug and his crew! My husband had a hydraulic jack plate installed and he is very happy with the installation and the boat’s performance! Customer service was amazing! Thank you Doug, we appreciate doing business with you!
Kenneth & Nicole Moore
In 2003 I had the misfortune of encountering serious damage to my Volvo Penta gas engine while tuna fishing off Montauk, NY. After nearly a month of research on engines and boat repair shops along with a trip from home in Connecticut to Edenton, NC, I decided to have Layton’s Custom Boatworks install a new Yanmar diesel engine into my boat. Despite the challenge of having my boat transported nearly 900 miles to make this repower possible, I could not have been happier.
For both Carlton and Doug Layton, this repowering project from gas to diesel of my 1996 25’ Carolina Classic was their first attempt at this jackshaft style conversion. Since my boat was done, it is my understanding that they have completed many other projects of the same nature. Eight years later I remain totally satisfied with their work, ethics, honesty and competitive pricing. Since that repower I have made a special trip to NC to have maintenance repairs made to my Volvo outdrive.
Needless-to-say, my level of comfort in their workmanship is worth my long drive, but more so my feeling of confidence in the engine’s performance when I am 50 miles offshore is priceless! To this day both Doug and Carlton are most receptive to my telephone calls when I am seeking honest advice on my engine and/or outdrive. They have always given me their undivided attention and provided me with the direction I needed.
In the event you may be considering a repowering project to be done by Layton’s Boatworks, not only would I highly recommend them but I would be most happy to provide you additional detail about my experience. Please feel free to contact me by requesting my telephone number from April Layton.
Layton’s Custom Boatwork’s has provided service for many of our customers who have needed engine repairs to their Albemarle boats. Doug and Carlton are both always willing to help us out when we need them. We continue to send customers with older model Albemarle’s to Layton’s who are interested in repowering their boat. Albemarle Boats and Layton’s Custom Boatworks have worked well together to serve our mutual customers and we plan to continue to work together well into the future. Congratulations on your upcoming 12 year anniversary in the marine business. We look forward to many more.
Albemarle Boats Inc.
I’ve been a customer of Layton’s Boat Works for about six years; the company has been the exclusive dealership and servicing agent for the Yanmar 6YLA – STP that’s installed in my Mainship Pilot 34. There are several other boatyards that are closer to me but because of their outstanding customer service and tecnical expertise, I have used Layton’s for all my servicing needs. Doug Layton has always been very responsive to my requests and makes the time to travel from Edenton to my marina in order to do whatever is necessary on my boat. In addition, I recently had an emergency situation while underway and Doug was immediately able to resolve the issue with me on the phone, even before I was back in my marina! The office staff, particularly April Layton, puts customer service first on their priorities and I’ve always experienced rapid response to every phone call I’ve made to the folks there. Based on my history with Layton’s, I would recommend them very highly. They are a great company to deal with.